A sincere thank you to invested residents, community stakeholders, and Indigenous partners for contributing to help plan Where We're Going! The feedback gained from the public engagement will be reviewed and considered for the final Municipal Development Plan, which will be presented to Council later this year.
To review the feedback provided throughout Phase 3 engagement view the Engagement Summary Report.
Follow the page to stay connected and up-to-date on this specific project.
Have you seen the plan?
After ongoing engagement, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo has prepared a draft Municipal Development Plan (MDP). The draft includes the region’s growth concept and a new vision for the future of the region. The MDP is a blueprint for how the region will evolve, thrive, and expand for the next 20 years. It identifies a new vision for the community and Municipal Council for our neighborhoods, livelihoods, and future for all in Wood Buffalo.
What's in the MDP?
1. Place and Community-Based Approach
The focus of the Municipality’s MDP is people, community, and the tremendous opportunity that exists here. By prioritizing policy that makes Wood Buffalo a better place for all the MDP reflects the fact that Wood Buffalo’s greatest strength is something it already has – its people.
“A flourishing region and community of choice with a strong sense of identity, history, and optimism, to call home, today and tomorrow.”
Six goals have been identified and are central ideas about who and what Wood Buffalo values most. The goals are meant to provide context and direction for the vision and will be carried forward throughout the MDP’s policies. To view the goals in more detail, please check the 'MDP Goals' in the right sidebar!
What will the MDP achieve?
- Identifies a new vision to guide the future growth and development of the Municipality through to 2041;
- Identifies six goals for the Municipality;
- Outlines a new community and people-focused approach to growth;
- Provides an overarching document to assist in the coordination of Municipal decisions about land use, transportation, infrastructure, recreation, the arts, and community services;
- Proposes new policies, programs, and investments for the Municipality to investigate to provide a better quality of life and economic opportunity for all;
- Affirms the Municipality’s commitment to ongoing reconciliation and relationship-building with the Indigenous community throughout Wood Buffalo;
- Helps residents and landowners understand how they can expect the Municipality to prioritize growth and investment throughout Wood Buffalo now and in the future; and
- How to implement the policies.
Municipal Development Plan Survey
The Municipal Development Plan Survey has now concluded.
The Municipal Development Plan (MDP) survey and the MDP Phase 2 Engagement survey have now concluded.